This starts with a snail named Turbo who dreams of speed. When Turbo almost drowns in an engine filled with nitrous oxide–and my kids and I started getting nervous– I started to wonder: isn’t that stuff laughing gas??
SNL skits and Steve Martin flashed before me, and I checked wiki to confirm: sure enough, the stuff that numbs pain and causes giggles is the same stuff that turns car horsepower into unicorn power.
I don’t believe in coincidences so what’s God trying to say??
Speed and Joy can go together like Slow and Annoyed, but maybe the connection runs deeper. What if Fun, Laughter, and Joy are some of our Greatest Weapons in life?
Maybe that’s why they’re constantly under attack…
*Check the Science of Nitrous Oxide at 1:56min*
What’s so powerful about Laughter?
When real, it’s contagious (in a good way), and can make everything, including pain, depression, and cares disappear– if only for an instant, and sometimes that’s all we need.
Just think about it: How short is your temper when you’re cracking up on Cloud 9 and tears are flowing? For me, neither cranky husband, nor broken chair, or spilled milk and screaming kids can bring me down when Laughter, Joy and Giddy are turned on. On the other hand, if I get up on the wrong side of the bed, just one glance at a messy room can spark a meltdown.
Your Joy is your Strength.
In humans NOS produces laughter, euphoria and makes WHO’s list of essential medicines as an anesthetic (omg, it really does “numb” troubles…). In a car, this bluish gas which contains more Oxygen than the air we breathe, produces Badass Power.
Joy is a major weapon in our Arsenal–maybe that’s why it’s always under attack…
One look at the News, a series of setbacks, or a long glance at our past can shut Joy down. If we’re not careful, Grief, Frustration, Pissed-Off and Bitter can take residence and those pesky house guests raid cupboards, hang sh*t from the ceiling, and can call some really bad friends over if you’re not careful. I’ve been there.
Its hard to keep joy and laughter burning in our engine (spirit) amidst the non-stop suffering in this world and/or our own hearts. But let’s be honest. Our objective isn’t to laugh troubles away. Actually, troubles should fire us up to Do Something. We can all make a difference in this world, and a deep Joy smuggled in Hope can help us power through tough times.
Be encouraged! Here are:
6 Tips to keep your Fun-tank full:
1. Don’t stifle your silliness—that might be a cue for a spiritual re-charge!
2. Look out for despair bombs in the form of News headlines or social media. The
occasional (or longterm) News black-out isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
3. Watch those keyboard cat videos, or other funny gifs or pics your friends send. It might be a helpline from Heaven!
4. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Perfection is a black hole, and “serious” only looks good on us for so long. Is that another furrow in your brow, Jas? Laugh at yourself more, forgive yourself always. We are all Masterpieces in progress.
5. If you have kids or grandkids, get lost in their awe, simplicity and silliness. Stop where they stop, look where they look–especially if you’re stressed or running late. Yes, really. Kids are amazing at showing us what’s really important in life: love and wonder for one another and the world around us.
6. Sometimes we need to shift gears—errr, Focus. Dwelling on grief about yesterday or today can steal hope and strength for tomorrow. Gear shifts require deliberate action, but they make the car more efficient, give more endurance…
No matter what, be sure you were born for this Crazy Time on earth, and though we don’t all believe in God or a “happily ever after,” let’s believe the good, Love stuff will last forever, and the bad, painful stuff will have an End.
I mean really–what does the darkest, longest night have to say to the Rising Sun?!
There’s Power in your Joy so guard it fiercely, keep your “NOS tank” near, and never be ashamed or afraid to Rev it up!
“I did not give you a spirit of fear but of Power, Love and a Sound Mind…”
*Listen to the sound when the Nitrous kicks in at 25mph!!*
Want to know more about God and Fun? Check out:
More on God and Real Life? Check the #WildKidsWildGod Series – 31 Days Looking into God’s Heart.
- Turbo (DreamWorks, 2013)
- How to Install NOS (Mighty Car Mods, 2014)
- Rage, Flower Thrower, Banksy
- The Fast and the Furious (2001)
- Canberra Resident faces 100K Repair After Teens Hold Party Advertised on Facebook (Sarah Dean, 2014, Daily Mail UK, goo.gl/QrBSxX)
- Keyboard Cat, Charlie Schmidt
- “Joy is the Serious Business of Heaven” C.S. Lewis
- Civic B16 Nitrous (Levathain, 2010)